Friday, April 9, 2021

Bais Yaakov “Chessed” Programs

I first encountered Bais Yaakovs’ “chessed” requirements about 20 years ago, when my sister started high school. I remember being angry about it. Their “chessed” assignments were typically helping out women in the community by babysitting or cleaning their homes. This might technically be “chessed,” I protested, but it seemed much like a scheme to provide the community with a free housekeeping service than a way to teach the girls kindness and compassion. Wouldn’t it be better to have the girls come up with their own projects? A group of them could volunteer at a hospital, or a homeless shelter, or for one of the community’s many  tzedaka organizations. These were places of real chessed, which might awaken in them compassion for and kindness towards others.

Later, my wife would tell me how she was required to do “chessed” in seminary in Israel. She told me how she and her friend went to a kollel family’s apartment and tackled a towering pile of smelly laundry. Another woman once told me how in her seminary the “chessed” program was her and her friends cleaning the faculty’s homes.

 I was sorting through some notes today and came across one of these accounts that I had written down. And I had an epiphany - one that seems obvious now. The “chessed” programs In Bais Yaakovs and seminaries weren't really about teaching chessed, about teaching the girls compassion and kindness that would motivate them to help out people in need. The “chessed” programs consisted of caring for children and performing household chores because in the frum community, implicitly, that’s what women are *for.* That’s what it was really teaching them.

 ====

The context of this epiphany was that this morning I was reading a book that was discussing the traditional halachik view of marriage. It went through a bunch of sources that see women's purpose in marriage was/is to serve her husband.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure there is *that* much thought put into it. I think the idea is still to each chessed and:

    1) It is easy to find overwhelmed mothers in the frum community that could use help.

    2) They want to keep the girls in a religious environment

    3) They want to give them tasks that they expect any high school girl can do. This is probably the closest it comes to your point.

    If it was just about conditioning the girls to do housework in general, there would be little point in a "chessed" program. Most of these girls could just help with housework at home, or help out their older married siblings in *their* homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not suggesting that it's a deliberate program of indoctrination. I'm saying that the reason that chessed programs are what they are is because of frum assumptions about women.

      Delete